Monday, October 8, 2007

...howwwzattt ...for your fear??




Last night one of my dearest friends from my days in Taiping called me up, though it has been nearly 20 years since I heard her voice, to my surprised the voice hadn't change at all. We chitchatted on many things from the old days up to the recent events, family and all that kind of stuffs including updating each other database on the latest gossip amongst our circle of friends. After a half an hour of walking down the memory lane, at last she told me that for the coming school holiday, she'll be away with her family where air travelling is needed and it makes her having this kind of nervous feeling. Being known to her that somehow I'm involved with the aviation industry, she asked my view on the safety aspect of air travel whether the aircraft is safe enough to fly or not, or somehow during mid-flight the aircraft may suddenly act funny and decided to make a nose-dive to oblivion.

Well my dear old friend, air travel is the safest mode of transportation if it is compared to other kind mode of travel and I assure you that nothing will happen to you or to the aircraft. I'm not an expert in air safety but to assure you more, trains have 0.04 deaths for every 100 million miles whilst air travel only have 0.01 death for every 100 million miles traveled. Compare to automobile travel, with 0.94 deaths per 100 million miles, both figures are relatively low and that makes air travel being the safest (6 times safer than travelling by car and twice as safe as rail). And for your info, accident survey conducted from 1950 to 2004, only 5 percents of the accident involved sabotage such as bombs, hijacking and shootdowns. Approximately 80 percents of aviation accidents occur shortly before, after, or during take off or landing where you are still near to the ground and although mid-flight disasters are rare but not entirely unheard of.

So my dear old friend, throw away your fear and enjoy the great vacation and don't forget to bring me something from there...

**Sources are from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mirumi pun tak pernah merasa naik MAS ke Air Asia ke lagi. Aircraft kecik pernah la merasa masa umur 6 tahun dulu, ronda-ronda Taiping bapak bawak, nan abang sekali. Duduk kat depan sebelah pilot. Memang seronok sangat.

Saudagar Mimpi said...

Waaaa bestnya naik kapal kecik ni. Tapi lagi best kalau naik helikopter sebab bila dia meneuver, kita boleh rasa adrenalin rush tu...